Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Tuesday Tips and Tricks: Art Journal Websites

I started an art journal in 2015 and I love it!  I have finally reached the point in my life where I do not need perfection from my art; the process is more important.  I find it very relaxing to create Zentangle-inspired art, collages, and to play with new techniques.  If you are interested in starting an art journal, there are many great websites that can help and inspire you.  Here are some of my favorites:

Tangle Patterns:  This website has a huge collection of step-outs for Zentangle tangles.  When I first heard about Zentangle, I had a really difficult time finding instructions for any of the tangles.  Now I go to this website and browse for random tangles to draw.

Sometimes you just need a prompt or a theme to get you started.  Journal 52 and Art Journal Journey are two websites that post weekly and monthly prompts respectively.  Journal 52's current prompt involves things you plan to say "yes" or "no" to in 2016, and Art Journal Journey has the prompt Winter Wonderland.  These prompts give you a starting point and looking at what others create in response to the prompt can be very inspiring.


This weekend I subscribed to a great Youtube channel: Art ala Carte, and I am obsessed.  So many playlists, so much to learn.  Yesterday I spent some time learning how to better use my new colored pencils and today I spent some time learning how to draw cats.  Her videos are easy to follow.  I actually drew a cat!  Check it out:

Do you have any favorite art journal websites? 

No comments: