Tuesday, May 22, 2018

How to Draw a Mandala

Want to learn how to draw a mandala?
Follow these steps and you'll be well on your way.

Gather your supplies



*Compass, protractor, and ruler:  These will help you make the guidelines for your mandala.

*Pencil and eraser:  I use these to draw and erase the guidelines.

*Pens:  My favorite pens are Micron and Staedtler fineliners.

*Paper:  Use whatever paper works well with your pens.


Draw some concentric circles




This is where you will use your compass.  You have two choices: draw the circles with pencil and erase them later or draw the circles with your pen.  Sometimes I use my ruler to evenly space my concentric circles.  Other times I draw without measuring, like in this picture.  


To add variety to your mandala try spacing some circles further away and some closer together.

Draw some guidelines


Use your protractor, ruler, and pencil to draw some guidelines.  I usually split my circles up into 8 equal sections.  These guidelines help when you are placing petals in your circles.

Just place your protractor so that the 90 degree line and the 0 degree line meet at the center of your circles.  Mark 0, 45, 90, 135, and 180 degrees and connect the marks using your ruler and pencil to draw a line.  Repeat for the other half of the circles.  You now have divided your mandala into 8 equal sections.




Add petals to the rings of your mandala  


Your petals can be pointed or rounded, or a combination of the two.  Use your guidelines to space your petals evenly around the circles.



Add details  

Now for the fun part!  Grab some colored pens (or stick with black if you prefer) and draw some simple designs and decoration to, and around, your petals.  


I love to look at Instagram and Pinterest and fill sketchbook pages with what I call "Mandala Filler."  When I am ready to decorate my mandala, I look back at those sketchbook pages for inspiration.  It somehow makes the whole process less intimidating.





I hope you enjoyed this post and use it to start creating your own mandalas!

1 comment:

Liz said...

Great post! I'm a bit of a mandala nut, can't get enough of them because the possibilities are endless.