Sunday, February 28, 2010
I have started a new project that I have been thinking about for a while now. I will be trying at least one new recipe every week and blogging about the experience here. I may also end up sharing some of my favorite, tried-and -true recipes. I am a vegetarian, so all recipes will be vegetarian friendly. Check it out.
So, I've been wanting to knit a cloth for cleaning veggies, like potatoes and mushrooms. I thought a potato would end up looking like a blob on the cloth, so I decided to use a mushroom as the graphic. Unfortunately, I decided to try knitting without graphing the design.... and it ended up looking like a tree instead. Not very mushroomy at all :) Last time I knit without a graph. The cloth is knit with Red Heart yarn. It gets really nice and soft after some use as a dishcloth. Knit on size 8 needles.
Friday, February 26, 2010
Yesterday I finished reading Loving Frank by Nancy Horan. My sister gave me the book as a Christmas gift a couple of Christmases ago. I am not sure why I hadn't read it yet. I think I thought it was going to be more of a biographical non fiction book and I thought it was going to be boring. Boy was I surprised! This book pulled me in immediately, and I found it hard to put down at times. The writing is so beautiful, and the story is compelling. The book is a work of fiction based on the real life of Frank Lloyd Wright and a woman with whom he had an affair. I will not give much away, but the ending was so emotional; I was very close to tears (and I am not a crier when it comes to books and movies). I highly recommend it.
Sunday, February 21, 2010
I decided to try knitting the plarn with size 50 needles. One reason for the big needles is that the plarn is pretty bulky, even after spinning. Also, it is painter's plastic, so it is stiffer than plastic bag plarn. The larger needles make it easier to handle. I am knitting a market bag, so knitting with the larger needles will allow it to stretch nicely. I used up the bigger ball of plarn with the body of the bag and now plan to use the smaller balls to make the strap. Then I want to use a different color plarn to attach the strap to the body. So far I am pretty pleased with my progress :)
Sunday, February 14, 2010
My brother in law saw the Packers golf club covers that I knit for my mom and requested some Chicago Cubs golf club covers. I made them for him as a birthday gift. He has received them now, so I can finally post my pics. The covers are knit in a solid color and then the logo is added with duplicate stitch. This logo was a little more complex because it spelled out the whole word, but I was able to graph it and work it out. Here is a picture of the duplicate stitch in progress. You might notice that my knitting needle is a little bent. I don't know what happened, but somehow during this project, the needle bent :P
End that need to be woven in from the striping.
Sunday, February 7, 2010
This summer, I started working on some plarn. I began with a large sheet of painter's plastic that I got on Craigslist. I cleaned and dried it (you can see it drying on the clothesline here). Later in the summer, I cut the plastic into strips. I have temporarily lost the pictures, but hope to find them and post them here soon. Anyway, today I started thinking about the large ball of plastic strips that I had just sitting in my craft room and decided to do something about it. I searched online for information about handspinning yarn and ended up making a drop spindle out of junk I found around my house. It's made from a towel rod, a lid from a cheese dip jar and a cup hook. Here it is with my first attempt at spinning my plarn. I think it's working pretty well.