Thursday, July 23, 2009

Educating Esme

Today I read a book called Educating Esme: Diary of a Teacher's First Year. I could not put it down. I even laughed out loud a few times while reading it. She was a lot more courageous than me in her first year of teaching, but the book did make me thankful for the teachers and principal I got to work with my first year of teaching. It was an inspiring book, and I recommend it to anyone.

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Golf Club Cover

I've been waiting to post this because it was a surprise. My mom asked if I could knit her a cover for her putter. I wanted to make her one to match her golf clubs, but I didn't have the right yarn, so I decided to knit in the colors of her favorite football team, the Green Bay Packers. I found a pattern on Ravelry (there were actually a number of free patterns). The pattern called for duplicate stitching an initial on the cover. There were charts provided, but none of them worked for what I wanted to do, since I wanted the Packers' logo, so I charted the design myself. It was really quite easy. I printed the logo. I then taped the logo to a window and taped graph paper over it. With the light coming through the papers, I could easily trace the logo onto the graph paper and chart it. Here is the G. It was my first time doing duplicate stitch.
I completed the duplicate stitch while the golf club cover was still on the knitting needle (size 5, by the way), even though the pattern stated that you should pull the yarn through all the stitches and gather the top of the cover first. I thought it would be easier to do if the cover was lying flat, especially since I had never tried it before. Here is what the back looks like.

Another new thing for me was making a pom pom. There are many sites on the web that explain different easy ways to make a pom pom. I always thought that you had to cut out one of those cardboard donuts, but I found out that you don't. I just wrapped the yarn around a coaster a bunch of times. Then I carefully slid the yarn off the coaster and tied another piece of yarn around the middle of my yarn loop. This holds the center of the pom pom together and works well for attaching the pom pom to the finished project. Then I had to cut the ends of the yarn loop, fluff, and voila a pom pom. I'm not sure if that description made any sense at all. Some day, I will have to do it again and take pictures of the steps as I go. It's really big and floppy. I think it's very "golfy".
Finally, here is the completed golf club cover. I put a wooden spoon in it so it would stand up straight for the photo. Isn't it pretty??

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Ocean Rose

I finally completed this necklace yesterday. It has two crocheted strands, two beaded strands, and a string of novelty yarn. I found the pendant at Goodwill and attached it with a coiled, beaded wire. Here is a closer picture:
And one without the flash, just for fun.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Market Bag is Complete :)

I finished the market bag on July 9, but I have been lazy about posting it. I really love it. I think it would make a great purse if it were lined and had a little closure added to it, but at the same time, I keep picturing a long baguette sticking out of it. Not sure how I will actually use it yet. The pattern is from Lion Brand's website. I used an H hook and Sugar 'n Cream cotton yarn in Cornflower Blue. I think I want to put an edging in a different color around the handles, but I'm not sure yet. I have also been trying some new and exciting stuff, like fused plastic and duplicate stitch. I will post some pictures as soon as I have them.

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Market Bag Update

Well, I have been making good progress on my market bag. Here is the body of the bag. Now all that is left is to crochet the handles.

Unfortunately, my supply of yarn has dwindled to this small little ball.
I was hoping that I would not have to tackle the untangling of the last part of the sweater. I started unraveling it in the dark and made a real mess of things. Note to self: playing with yarn around a campfire is not a good idea, for a number of reasons.
But I did it. I untangled that mess of yarn and now I have enough to complete the market bag.
I started the handle last night, and I love it so much, I might want to make it into a purse instead of a market bag. All it will take is some lining and a closure.

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Arches Square

I completed the Arches square, the second April square for the afghan CAL. This square was really easy and quick to crochet. I am very happy with it.

Crocheted with Accord acrylic yarn and an I hook. Now onto May's squares. I think I should be caught up by the end of the summer :)